To review the process of this project I’m doing, head to this link to read my first instalment.
Here’s the poem that resulted from the first go:
Shallowly breathed in
And in a cup held with practiced hands
The teachings precious and thin
This time what I did for the next set of lines to be collected, was just half the numbers for choosing the shelf, page, book, paragraph and line. Here’s the result:
- …will be favourable or as an expectation that it will not be unfavourable…
- …gone off voluntarily leaving money…
- …to the kingdom in a particular area. Consequently, we…
- …Would probably have difficulty in getting down on the floor and up again…
- …or the fat bottom of the former sea.
Then, because I had more time to spend, I enlisted the help of Jay, sound man…ticket taker, door holder, and all around nice guy, to do some category picking for me. Here are the categories…
- Poetry, Sci-Fi, Literary Fiction, Plays, Biography
…and the result from Jay’s picked numbers is:
- …itself is not too high a price to pay for the pleasure of hearing…
- …stacked almost to the ceiling.
- …that simply had to go.
- …only he could hear. But it was too late. The ranchers
- …nod from the studio that held no authority
And then the half number results:
- …loneliness – before death – all individuals are united:…
- …just under the surface of polite intercourse.
- …who, after trying to marry him herself, was now…
- …available to go out with her that night, or any other night.
- and if so, how much would all of this cost?
So, as I suspected, the first go at the song has changed with the addition of all these new lines. With a little mind bending, here’s the result for this phase. I should mention that before starting this project, I had a piece of music that I had come up with that I wanted to put lyrics to. I think that has helped, allowing me to arrange phrases to a cadence already established, helping to form a song…poetry based, as opposed to a poem. I’ve got a working title too, here you go:
Some Kingdom’s Door
In a cup held with practiced hands
Both precious and thin
Fragrance rising to the ceiling
Too shallowly breathed in
Is there a high price to pay
If you just have to go
I could hear “Well, I don’t think so
Just so you know”
And this night’s just like any other
With my feet on the floor
Tapping at the bottom
Of some kingdom’s door
June 4, 2011